During her convalescence, Big Sis read Mallory on the Move, In Business with Mallory, My Father's Dragon, Jigsaw Jones: The Case of the Best Pet Ever, and a couple dozen picture books from the public library and our home collection. I had to start limiting her trips to the library bag so she wouldn't finish every story before we could read together at bedtime.
When Big Sister returned to school today she reminded me that her book order is due tomorrow. Did you know that book orders are just as wonderful as when we were kids? I spent a lovely hour looking through each flyer on the Scholatic website. Then I turned down the furnace so that I can spend a little more money on the next round of book orders. This time, I limited myself to these four books:
Spoon by Amy Krouse Rosenthal
(Haven't read it yet, but I love this author's work)
National Geographic Kids Weird but True! 3
(Per Big Sister's request. She gobbles these up.)
Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George
(This book is mine. I've really enjoyed reading her previous 6 novels.)
Hugless Douglas by David Melling
(Sounds like the kind of book that will have both big kids giggling.)
There were at least 15 other books I wanted but will have to wait.
Some of them are past favorites from the library:
The Sandwich Swap by Queen Rania Abdullah
(Based on a personal childhood experience. Great pictures, story, and message.)
It's Not Fair! another by Amy Krouse Rosenthal
Picky Eaters Pack
I Will Not Ever Eat a Tomato by Lauren Child
Gregory, the Terrible Eater by Mitchell Sharmat(For our resident picky eater - Little Brother.)
Frog and Toad Pack by Arnold Lobel
(Classics! I'm tempted to "borrow" my mom's copies until I get my own.)
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
(I know I'm crazy to not have this yet, but it's cheaper to borrow from my sister-in-law.)
The Little Red Hen (Makes a Pizza) by Philemon Sturges
There were just as many that we haven't read yet, but I'm betting we'd love. I will have to check the library for them in the mean time.
At least half of the picture books in our home library were purchased through school book orders. It's how many of our family favorites were first discovered. We take advantage of book orders for a few reasons. The books are competitively priced. Scholastic contributes to our children's classrooms each time we order online. And book orders are just plain fun. I still remember the excitement of bringing home some glossy new paperbacks in my backpack. The moral of my story? Sleep lots and take some Vitamin C this cold and flu season, make some time to visit your local library, and every now and then invest a few bucks in some books to keep.
*I am not affiliated with Scholatic Book Clubs . . . other than my online account. I have not been paid or compensated for my endorsement in any way. Should Scholastic want to send me free books, I will gladly and gratefully welcome them. That goes for anyone who wants to send me free books.
No comments:
Post a Comment