Bear is a curmudgeonly fellow. (I love that word and I totally stole it from the book flap.) He even has a sign outside his door that reads NO VISITORS ALLOWED. One morning, Mouse "small and gray and bright-eyed" pays a visit to Bear and is promptly refused entry. Bear goes back to the business of making his breakfast but is exasperated to find Mouse in his cupboard! Despite Bear's best efforts, Mouse continues to pop up uninvited. Exhausted by Mouse's cheerful persistence, Bear makes an exception to his no visitor policy and an unexpected and charming friendship develops.
(Okay, so my teasers need some work. Read the book anyway. I didn't want to just copy and paste a professional review.)
We loved the book. Even today, it's easily one of my favorite picture books on our shelves.
A couple weeks ago, I discovered that Bonnie Becker has added three more Bear and Mouse books to the collection. Land sakes! They're all delightful! Tonight, Little Brother and I read A Birthday for Bear. Last week, enjoyed A Sleepover for Bear and The Sniffles for Bear. I still sigh a little each time I read "small and gray and bright-eyed." I wish Mouse would pay me a visit. The watercolor illustrations by Kady MacDonald Denton are beautiful and so complimentary to Ms. Becker's smooth prose. What I love most are the personalities of Bear and Mouse. I see a little too much of Bear in myself sometimes, and I appreciate the Mouses in my life who help me to relax and step outside of my comfort zone a bit. If only a bit. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment