Highly Recommended (a.k.a. our favorites this week):
One Tractor: A Counting Book
by Alexandra Siy
A very refreshing counting book. Lovely illustrations and engaging storyline, which is not something all counting books pull off so well. Both Big Sister and Little Brother loved this read.
The Boss Baby
by Marla Frazee
Marla Frazee will be getting her own spotlight here soon. Love her! The Boss Baby is especially funny to parents, so I was surprised by how well Big Sis and Little Bro could relate the humorous tale to our own Boss Baby - Baby Brother!
Dinotrux
by Chris Gall
This is Little Bro's new favorite book. We have checked it out before, and I have no doubt he will request it again soon. Total boy book.
The Three Little Pigs: An Architectural Tale
By Steven Guarnaccia
One of my favorite 3 Little Pigs retellings to date.
Never Fear, Flip the Dip is Here
by Philip Hanft
Little Bro picked this out for its baseball themed cover. It was a bit lengthy for him but very much worth the read. Gorgeous drawings and story.
Chickens to the Rescue
Pigs to the Rescue
by John Himmelman
We thought Chickens was just a bit better than Pigs, but we all lingered and giggled over the pictures in both.
Three Brave Women
by C.L.G. Martin
I checked this out specifically for Big Sister. A little girl, her mother, and grandmother conquer their fears together. I loved it.
Farm-Fresh Cats
by Scott Santoro
Resident cat lover, Big Sister, gave this 5 bookworms before I even finished reading. Funny and colorful.
Goldilocks
by Ruth Sanderson
Big Sister and I loved this retelling and Little Bro stayed engaged and interested. Beautiful illustrations and a lovely extended ending. It reminded me of the made up Goldilocks and Baby Bear stories my mom would tell my sister and me. Recommended:
The Berenstain Bears Sick Days
by Stan and Jan Berenstain
Arthur's Christmas
by Marc Brown
Police Officers on Patrol
by Kersten Hamilton
Little Bro had me read this twice, so it was a hit for him. I really liked the pictures; the rhyming story was fine.
The Three Silly Girls Grubb
by John and Ann Hassett
Very cute retelling of the 3 Billy Goats Gruff. Substitute a little boy bully who never goes to school for the troll and three sisters Grubb for the goats, and you've got a clever twist. Fun ending, but not my favorite style of illustrations.
Bubble Bath Pirates
by Jarrett J. Krosoczka
Little Bro really liked this one, because it had pirates. It was fine, but a little lack-luster for me.
Little Bear's New Friend
The Toys Wedding
by Else Holmelund Minarik
Max Cleans Up
by Rosemary Wells
Not Recommended:
Letting Baby Brother turn the pages in the library's newest Curious George book. His excitement to read it got the better of him, and now I get to pay $2 for it.
1 comment:
Lisa, I was just sitting here doing stupid work at work, letting my mind wander over good books for Lily, since she whispered to me as I was leaving yesterday "Bring me some more books" - have you guys read any Ramona books? I'm thinking specifically of the one that's set at christmas, I don't know the title or which one it is exactly, but Ramona plays a sheep in the christmas pageant. It's quiet, good, and appropriate for the season. Just thought I'd throw that suggestion out there.
Post a Comment